Discover how to balance and heal your Chakras with these simple and easy to use methods. Learn how to liberate your body, mind and soul from stress, illness and stagnant energy, so you can restore balance and promote physical and emotional well-being.
What are Chakras?
The term ‘Chakra’ is an ancient Sanskrit word meaning ‘wheel’ or ‘disc’ and refers to an energy system that runs along our spinal column. We have 7 major Chakras (see image below), 21 minor ones, and many more lesser ones, including tiny ones on the soles of our feet & palms of our hands.
Each Chakra is associated with different physical and emotional parts of the body and work together as a whole. The physical associations relates to our Endocrine System that runs parallel to our spinal column and Chakra system. When our Chakras become blocked or unbalanced, this can lead to an array of physical and / or emotional ailments.
For example, the Throat Chakra is connected to the Thyroid Gland and our ability to communicate. Therefore, when this Chakra becomes blocked it can manifest as some sort of sore throat i.e. Tonsillitis or Laryngitis. Likewise, it could manifest in an emotional way i.e. telling lies or being unable to speak up for yourself. Another good example comes with the Crown Chakra which is related to our Pineal Gland and our understanding and connection to the Divine. When this becomes blocked or unbalanced we can become light headed and spaced out or develop headaches and migraines.
Balancing & Healing the Chakras
I have 7 simple, and easy to implement, methods to help you balance and heal your Chakras. By implementing these modalities into your life you can prevent blockages from occurring and balance your Chakras effectively.
Yoga poses are a great way of embodying the relevant Chakra and the perfect opportunity to calm the mind and focus your intentions on healing that part of yourself.
Below is a list of the best Yoga poses to embody and balance each Chakra:
- Crown = Headstand
- Third Eye = Downward Dog
- Throat = Shoulder Stand
- Heart = Camel pose
- Solar Plexus = Warrior pose
- Sacral = Goddess pose
- Root = Tree pose
Introduce the relevant colour of the Chakra you wish to balance into your life wherever possible:
- The clothes you wear
- The foods you eat
- The crystals you use
- The jewellery you wear
- The sheets you sleep in
- Visualise that colour engulfing you & filling your body
Crystals can be a powerful tool for absorbing and transmuting negative energies. One of the easiest ways to use crystals is wearing them as jewellery. Otherwise, you can just carry them with you on your persons, place them around your home, or pop them under your pillow while you sleep.
Below is a list of suggested crystals for each of the Chakras:
- Crown (purple / white) = Amethyst
- Third Eye (indigo blue / clear) = Lapis Lazuli
- Throat (sky blue / turquoise) = Turquoise
- Heart (green) = Jade, Green Aventurine
- Solar Plexus (yellow) =
- Sacral (orange) = Orange Carnelian
- Root (red / brown / black) = Red Jasper
WARNING: Crystal healing is on the rise and as such our crystal mines are becoming overused and unsafe for workers. Please do your research before buying crystals to ensure they are ethically sourced. Read this article from the Guardian to get more clued up.
Our thoughts play an important role in our overall joy in life and speech is a very powerful tool for re-programming our thoughts. By repeating positive phrases to ourselves regularly, we begin to programme our brains into believing that statement.
The words we speak carry a vibrational energy that effect our reality, either positively or negatively. Affirmations, mantras and chanting are a powerful tool for reinforcing positivity into our minds and hearts.
Have a go at creating your own Chakra Affirmations but if you are struggling I have provided some below:
- Crown = “I am connected to all. I am Divine.”
- Third Eye = “I am open to new ideas. Imagination is my friend.”
- Throat = “I speak, I hear, I listen.”
- Heart = “I love unconditionally & without expectation.”
- Solar Plexus = “I own my own power.”
- Sacral = “Creativity flows through me.”
- Root = “I am strong, stable and independent.”
As first said by Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin “you are what you eat “. This can be applied to balance and heal the Chakras by following the simple guide below:
- Crown = Eat light foods/meals, fasting, detoxing
- Third Eye = Eat light foods/meals, grape juice, herbal tea, poppy seeds
- Throat = Fruits, blueberries, apples, pears, peaches, plums, apricots
- Heart = Leafy salad and veg, spinach, kale, broccoli
- Solar Plexus = Bananas, corn, yellow lentils, yellow peppers
- Sacral = Liquids (water, orange juice, soup, tea), oranges, carrots, mango
- Root = Root vegetables (potatoes, parsnips), ginger, garlic, antioxidants
6. Music & Dance
Our senses are a very powerful influencing factor on our enjoyment in life. They can either enhance our experience – beautiful aromas, ambient sounds, exquisite tastes – or they can diminish them. Therefore, effective use of our senses can be a powerful tool for medicine & healing.
Sounds transmit vibrational energies (sound waves) which then interact with the vibrations in our cells to restore balance. The use of instruments & the voice for celebration & healing has been practised for thousands of years and across a myriad of cultures and civilisations.
Alongside sound, movement has been used for thousands of years as a celebratory and healing modality. The most well-known of side effects being the release of endorphines.
Movement helps to break down energy in the body, making it easier to release. Additionally, it relaxes and loosens muscles so they are more free and flexible. Movement and sound together allow for a powerful experience, of the body, mind and soul, to enter a trance-like state.
Below is a guide to different music and dance styles that will illicit healing within the relevant Chakra:
- Crown = Chimes, soft sounds, slow motion, moon walking, laying down
- Third Eye = Ambient, calm, chilled, yoga, Tai Chi, stretching, expansion moves, ballet, graceful
- Throat = Native America style music, walking meditation, percussion & chanting
- Heart = Lighter, strings, piano, symphony, playful, light, childish, free, fly, twirl, skip, hop
- Solar Plexus = Aerobic, fast, energetic, staccato, jazz, kickboxing / karate style moves, punching, kicking, flicking energy off
- Sacral = Hips, fluid, flowing, swaying, sexy, sensual, salsa, funky
- Root = Tribal, low, base-y, earthy, drumming, stamping, ground-work
Chakra Dancing is a free flow workout for the mind, body and soul. A journey of healing and self-discovery designed to stimulate the natural flow of energy through the Chakras.
Through spontaneous and intuitive dance, you can liberate the body from stress, tension and stagnant energy, restoring balance and promoting physical and emotional well-being.
For more information on Chakra Dancing, please visit my website.
Below are different practices and activities you can do which will help to fully embrace and instill the meaning of each Chakra in your life:
- Crown = Meditation, gong baths, connecting to Spirit, mediumship
- Third Eye = Guided visualisation journeys, expanding the mind
- Throat = Singing and chanting. Be more honest and authentic. Practise saying “no”.
- Heart = Practise giving unconditionally and without expectation. Affirmations of love.
- Solar Plexus = Martial arts. Listen to your gut and follow it, see where it takes you.
- Sacral = Seek a creative outlet – paint, craft, write, build, dance.
- Root = Create a sense of home wherever you are. Visualising roots growing from soles of feet.
TIP: If you are resistant to a lot of these healing modalities and feel you cannot commit to all of them, I would highly recommend number 6 and 7.
By breaking your body down into 7 sections relating to the different physical and emotional parts of yourself, you are able to balance and heal your Chakras, and therefore your minds and bodies, in an efficient and effective manner.